STIHL is proud to be the number one selling brand of gasoline powered handheld outdoor power equipment in Canada.* An unfortunate consequence of being number one means STIHL is a target for imitators and counterfeiters around the world. They want to capitalize on the excellence and quality that we’ve built at STIHL at the expense of your safety. Don’t be fooled.
These “vendors” sell counterfeit STIHL products that may look and feel genuine, but share almost none of the quality and safety features found on our equipment. Never buy STIHL products from street vendors or flea markets. Also be wary of STIHL products being sold on unauthorized, discount or auction-based websites. STIHL products are only sold at authorized servicing dealers, so avoid these impostors by purchasing from a trusted retailer.
- STIHL products are characterized, among other things, by strict quality and safety standards. Imitators have no such standards. Even slight deficiencies can result in serious safety risks.
- Safety-critical devices may be faulty or totally absent. For example: when a counterfeit chain saw was recently unpacked, the hand guard for the chain brake – an important safety device on a chain saw – was found to be broken.
- Operating time and overall performance are often compromised. Counterfeit or pirated machines may malfunction or break down after only a short time in use.
- Imitation products typically cannot be serviced or repaired since spare parts are not available, and they are not covered by STIHL warranty policies.
So how do you tell a fake STIHL from the real deal? Sometimes it can be very difficult from the outside. Counterfeit STIHL tools will boast our trademarked STIHL orange and grey colour scheme and often feature a STIHL logo and model name. Sometimes the fakes are obvious (STIHL never uses stickers to mark its products – our logo is always printed or embossed directly on the product), but the only way to be sure you are getting a genuine STIHL is to purchase your product from an authorized STIHL Dealer.
With over 1,000 dealers across Canada, finding one shouldn’t be a problem (find yours now with our online Dealer locator). We make high-quality tools because we care about the work you do, so trust your authentic STIHL equipment to not let you down.
* #1 Selling Brand in Canada is based on an independent market share analysis of imported gasoline powered handheld outdoor power equipment for the year 2013.